Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Mommy-Made Easter


At almost 18 months, The Kraze had their first Easter Egg Hunt today and we have a Sunrise Breakfast at our church Saturday morning, so of course they need Easter baskets and something festive to wear for all these activities!  Being the person that I am, loving any excuse to celebrate and believing that the day-of is the most important, we are saving their Easter dresses for Easter Day...

I know it's a little last minute, but with all of the 30th birthday festivities for Zach last week... who am I kidding - I'm a procrastinator, I'll admit it now - you'd find out sooner or later any way, so don't expect any great projects a month in advance, but if you're a last-minute person like me, we'll be great DIY friends!!

Also something to note, I am not a seamstress.  At best, I can sew ribbon & elastic onto a pair of point shoes, so you can always count on easy peasy projects from me.

No-Sew DIY Onesies


Having twin girls, I love to be playful and creative anytime I can (anyone who knows us, knows that my girls always coordinate but never match).  So one will wear the bunny & one will wear 'hop' - get it?!  I don't really care which one wears which, they like to choose themselves - it's true!
*I also think it would be cute to have Easter eggs on one & a silhouette of a chick on the other or if you have a singleton, your options are endless!

What you'll need...

  • Onesie(s) or shirt  - I grabbed two out of their closet that they're close to outgrowing anyway
    • I am loving the trend of mixing patterns, so I chose different patterns in the same color family to create a cohesive but fun look!
  • Fabric - I had leftovers from fabric squares I bought for a DIY for their birthday party
    • Hancock Fabrics has an unlimited selection for about $0.29 a piece & they're BIG
  • Fabric Paint
  • Stitch witchery (what I had already) or any type of heat & bond adhesive
  • Iron
  • Pencil - an old fashioned wooden #2 will work (not mechanical)
  • Scissors
  • Computer & Printer - unless you can freehand way better than I can
  1. Choose and find your image.  I googled 'bunny silhouette', then went to word and typed out 'hop' in a fun font. (again, unless you are better equipped with Photoshop than I am)
  2. Print out your image(s) to the size you want & cut it/them out.
  3. Trace the image face down onto the back of your fabric & cut it out.
  4. Cut your adhesive to the shape of your applique.
  5. Iron your applique onto the garment.
  6. Trace the edges with fabric paint - the fabric's edges will be unfinished and possibly lift (again I don't sew) , so I did this to give it a more finished look, prevent it from lifting and it adds to the cuteness!
My cost: $0 & they were the cutest ones there (as they need the outfits for that to be so)!

No-Sew DIY Tutu Easter Baskets

Pretty much any mom of girls loves to find any excuse to incorporate tutus in their little girls' lives, especially this former ballerina! Now, I love PBK as much as the next mom and their Easter baskets are too cute, BUT the liners alone are $14-$25 a piece - that's $28-$50 on LINERS for this mom of two, not including the baskets or anything to put in them... don't think so.

What you'll need...
  • The cheapest basket you can find - I believe we got ours from ToysRUs for under $3
  • 1/4" elastic
  • Spool of precut tulle in your color of choice
  • Needle & thread - I know I said I don't sew, but it's about the same as sewing a pair of point shoes - you can do it, I promise!
  • Ribbon
  • Hot glue gun

Just We Moms has a great tutorial on how I always make my tutus for the Kraze, so I'll let them do this part for me.

Once you have your tutu completed...
  • Hot glue the corners to the basket so it won't fall off when your little one is swinging her basket around
  • (optional) Cut your ribbon about 6"-12" longer than you need to go around your tutu, so you have enough to tie a bow and hot glue it to the tutu
Disclaimer: in case you noticed the baskets are different in the main photo, it's because I ran out of time (I already admitted I'm a procrastinator!), but I was happy with the second one as well, so here's the quick run down (using the same materials from above).
  • I hot glued two rows of thick (1-1.5") pink grosgrain ribbon around the basket 
  • Draped the tulle over the top row, gathering & hot glueing the corners
  • Tied a big four-sided bow

Curious what I put IN their Easter baskets?
  • Hooded towels
  • White denim jackets
  • Sunglasses
  • Sun hats
  • Bilingual books: Colors and Animals
  • Wind-up cars - out of all the toys in a store & they carry these throughout and scream when you try to take them away... that's a good indicator :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik